The taco slinger.
That funny little guy who sells tamales from a cooler.
You may not know their names, but this international band of heroes have been there for you when you needed them. Which is to say, after you leave the bar.
Now, a new player emerges: Das Doner, the new German/Turkish answer to your late-night snacking prayers, opening tomorrow in Logan Square.
Here are the only five things to know:
1) It’s from the guys behind the Radler (which is around the corner), who did so much for your enjoyment of a good pretzel, knockwurst and German beer.
2) Inside looks like a beer hall filled with communal tables and line-art murals depicting old Logan Square. You’ll also be able to dine alfresco and see current Logan Square.
3) The menu is all about the doner, that Turkish-imported, late-night favorite on the streets of Berlin. Choose your spit-roasted meat (chicken or pork), your format (pita, rolled flatbread or bowl) and your sauce (tahini, harissa or yogurt).
4) They’ll have a house rum punch of the day on tap and all the beer comes in tallboy format.
5) Tallboys are the steins of beer cans.
You don’t need to know that last one.