About a new Asian tapas den opening in Midtown.
Things like “Top Chef alum in the kitchen,” “open till 5am” and, maybe craziest of all, “Pork Belly BLT.”
We’re happy to report: the whispers are true. Gigi—quite possibly Miami’s sexiest urban diner—is here, soft-opening tonight before a full debut Monday. Here’s what you need to know:
- It’s Hip: The latest from restaurateur Amir Ben-Zion (Bardot, Sra. Martinez, Bond St), Gigi (“Jee-Jee”) feels like the kind of buzzing, clamorous noodle bar you’d find in New York’s East Village. Grab a steel stool by the wooden bar and take in the majesty of Midtown’s largest open kitchen.
- It’s Shareable: The ridiculously well-curated menu includes family-style small plates like 1lb Southern Boy BBQ Ribs, Crispy Chicken Skin rinds and Gigi Buns: two Asian sliders stuffed with roasted pork, pulled chicken or shiitake mushrooms. And that Pork Belly BLT is made with Berkshire pork and costs $9.
- Draft Beers Are $3: Seriously. Sapporo and Stella Artois are on tap, cans of PBR are $2, and the most expensive bottle of wine is $24 (an Argentinean Malbec).
- The Chef Is a Reality Star: The blond guy behind the counter is head chef Jeff McInnis, a vet of Top Chef Season 5. Try not to bother him too much—he’s overseeing a raw bar, a barbecue grill, noodle stations and a pastry chef who makes three kinds of pies (go for the peach).
- It’s Open Late: The place doesn’t close until 2am on weekdays and 5am on Fridays and Saturdays. Meaning, this is where you’ll be after catching a band at Bardot. (Leave early.)