The basement of the Chelsea CO-OP store, where madness over deeply discounted designer duds (75% off regular prices) ensues twice a year.
- Best hours to avoid lines: 10:30 a.m.-noon, and 2-4 p.m. Going the very last forty-five minutes works too—you can take advantage of the thinned and weary crowds.
- What Barneys buyers do: Go on the first day (when selection is best) and the last day (for killer deals).
- Suits are a classic Warehouse find, if you have the patience to hunt—you'll find Boss, Armani, Varvatos, Valentino, Burberry and Canali at less than Men's Wearhouse prices.
- No dressing rooms, so wear a t-shirt, jeans and boxers and do some crunches ahead of time because you will be stripping down.
- Stop upstairs. It's packed with half-clad fashionista chicks; the thrills may be cheaper than the prices, but if you can focus long enough to help her find that missing Manolo, you may end up scoring more than a few new button-downs.
To avoid the bargain-hunting piranhas, head to the main stores 3-4 weeks before the Warehouse sale (keep this in mind for the next one, in February)...stuff's up to 60-75% off—it's only marked down a little more before it goes to the Warehouse.