St. Patrick's Day is coming up quickly, which means you're going to require Irish things to drink.
So, put down that green beer, and pick up this Irish Coffee.
It comes from the Dead Rabbit, the New York bar that's won just about every accolade there is for bars, including Best Bar in the World. When they painstakingly tinker with a cocktail until they think it's perfect, it's wise to take heed.
In creating the recipe, Dead Rabbit's owners, Jack McGarry and Sean Muldoon, gave the same level of attention to the whiskey as they did the coffee, sugar and cream (freshly whipped, of course). And the ratios are exacting. With only one ounce of whiskey, it's not an overly boozy drink. But that's the point: You can have a few and still function through a full schedule of St. Patrick's Day activities.
Or mid-afternoon meetings.
Irish Coffee Recipe
- 1 ounce Bushmills Original Irish Whiskey
- 3/4 ounce rich demerara syrup
- 3 1/4 ounce brewed Sumatra coffee
1. Pour the whiskey, demerara syrup and coffee into a six-ounce Irish Coffee glass, leaving a half inch of room at the top for cream.
2. Top with freshly whipped heavy cream.