Some of us (not naming names) are still hungover from New Year's Eve.
And all of us are still reeling from nearly two years of craziness.
So, here's to a better year. One that's safer, happier and not new normal but, like, actually normal.
Of course, you can't be expected to face 2022 on an empty stomach. That's where this Boozy Breakfast Sandwich comes into play. It's loaded with all the things required to improve your morning—and hopefully your year.
This recipe comes from Brad Kent, a certified food scientist and the chef behind Bagel + Slice, the forthcoming restaurant in LA's Highland Park neighborhood. He's taken the classic Bacon, Egg and Cheese and given it new life with a homemade Bloody Mary Hot Sauce that turns the classic eye-opener into a sandwich topper. Use it on your breakfast sandwiches, add it to Micheladas, and pull it out whenever your favorite foods need a flavorful kick.
Boozy Breakfast Sandwich
- 1 bagel, toasted and buttered
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and chopped into pieces
- 1 fried egg, cooked medium
- 1 tablespoon Bloody Mary Hot Sauce*
- 1 small handful fresh celery, julienned
- A few sprigs of fresh dill
- Garnish: fresh celery seed and cracked black pepper
Add bacon and egg to toasted bagel, then top with hot sauce, celery, dill and garnishes.
*Bloody Mary Hot Sauce
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 3 tablespoons Tabasco
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup vodka (or water)
Whisk all ingredients together until combined.